5 Best Fish Identification Apps For Android & iOS (Free Apps)
1. Fishbrain – local fishing map and forecast app
“Fish smarter with Fishbrain, the #1 app for people who love fishing.
Millions of anglers trust Fishbrain when they go fishing. Fishbrain has over 13 million users and 12 million catches logged, plus gear from over 350 fishing brands that you can buy right in the app. Fishbrain provides you with accurate data insights to help you catch more, and bigger, fish. Download the Fishbrain app today, your personal fishing log, map, online fishing gear shop, and forecasting tool in one app.
Most importantly, your fishing spots always stay secret. With our built-in privacy settings, you can choose to share your catch location – or not!
Fish smarter with Fishbrain Pro
FIND BEST FISHING SPOTS Navionics depth maps in US and Canada or C-MAP Social – exceptional coverage and high-resolution bottom contour detail of your favorite fishing spots. Fishing spot prediction – discover new places to fish with Fishbrain’s own AI-algorithm Fishing spots with confirmed catch locations help you fish in the right spot at the right time. CATCH BIGGER FISH Top baits used in your area – based on 12 million catches Learn from other anglers. Get local tips, see gear used and share your own advice. BiteTime™ predictions for species in your area tells you’re most likely to get a bite. Buy best performing baits from right within the app.
REEL IN MORE CATCHES CONSISTENTLY Personal logbook and catch condition insights Personal statistics where and when you catch 7-day Fishing forecast with solunar and tidal charts
Fishbrain Pro is available as an optional upgrade for $9.99/month or $74.99/year. You can subscribe and pay through your App Store account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscriptions by entering the user settings in your App Store account after the purchase. Auto-renew may also be turned off from there.
FISHBRAIN FREE You can also use Fishbrain for free and it will give you amazing on-water and off-water experience. FREE FISHING MAPS Map with fishing waters, most of them has reviews and information about on-site amenities, such as ramps and docks. Info about species that inhabit these waters Bite time prediction for 1 species and how many times each of them were caught there. YOUR PRIVATE LOGBOOK Fish recognition tool to help you upload your catches in seconds 100% location privacy for your catches Personal catch statistics on which species and with which baits you made Personal catch map and digital tackle box FISHBRAIN SHOP (USA only) Free delivery on orders over $50 Free delivery on orders over $10 for Fishbrain Pro anglers Over 300.000 product ratings and reviews from anglers Gear recommendation based on catches Weekly deals and discounts
LEARN AND IMPROVE WITH COMMUNITY OF 13 MILLION • Find nearby anglers to fish with. • Share your catches with anglers like you. Saltwater, freshwater, bass or catfish – they’re all on Fishbrain waiting to cheer you on. • Join fishing conversations, in private groups or one-on-one.
Love Fishbrain and fishing? Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fishbrainapp Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fishbrainapp Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fishbrain”
2. “Fishidy: Fishing Hot Spot Maps, Reports & Tips”
“Find the best fishing spots and cast with confidence.
Fishidy is the only fishing app powered by Fishing Hot Spots® – a trusted name in the industry for over 40 years – and provides the most comprehensive and reliable fishing maps available.
Get access to extensively researched fishing tips and techniques specifically tailored to the top fishing destinations in the U.S.
You’re only a few taps away from joining over 1 million Fishidy members who are having more success on the water!
LOCAL FISHING SPOTS • Discover the best places to cast a line • Access publicly-shared catches and spots • See which baits are working when and where
LOG CATCHES AND SPOTS • Can always be kept 100% private • Track your most successful patterns • Auto-capture weather conditions
RESEARCHED WATERWAY INFO • Fishery details and insights • Shoreline, seasonal and stocking info • Marinas, boat ramps, and access points
LOCAL FISHING REPORTS • Always know when the fish are biting • Customizable waterway activity alerts • Connect with others who fish nearby
GO PREMIUM • Depth contours and navigation aids • Unlock Fishing Hot Spots® with coordinates • Expert-verified tips, presentations and lures • Accurate mapping of structure and vegetation • Fish habitat: reefs, rock piles, cribs, etc. • Fishing insights, tips and forecasts • Instantly identify the most productive water • Access your maps offline in remote locations
A premium subscription is available for $9.99/month or $49.99/year. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You can manage your subscription through Google Play. You can disable auto-renewal at any time.
“FishVerify helps users identify hundreds of Freshwater & Saltwater fish with the click of a camera, simultaneously providing local fishing regulations. The app provides up-to-date rules & regulations on size and bag limits based on your GPS location. Check the app for supported regulation areas, new regions are being added regularly.
This app includes in-app purchase options. Certain features are only available to subscribed users.
• FREE FEATURES: Search Fish Rules & Regulations Manually. Check current marine weather and water conditions including wind, air temperature, moon phase, barometric pressure, cloud coverage, water temperature, wave height, tides, sunrise & sunset.
• FREE TRIAL: New subscribers will receive a 3-day free trial to access all premium features immediately after subscribing. You may cancel anytime.
——————————— FEATURES ———————————
With FishVerify Free Plan, you get:
• LOCAL FISHING REGULATIONS – Quickly learn if your catch is in season, how many you can keep, the size limit, edibility, and much more.
• MARINE WEATHER – Real-time marine weather, tides, waves, sea temperature, solunar and more.
• REFERENCE TOOL – A must-have reference tool to identify local marine life, understand the complex and ever-changing rules and regulations and learn about marine habitats at a fraction of the cost as compared to most bulky charts and maps.
Upgrade to FishVerify Premium to get even more:
• IMAGE RECOGNITION [Premium Feature] – FishVerify uses the latest in image recognition and artificial intelligence to instantly identify your fish species. Just take a picture with your phone’s camera or upload an existing image to enjoy species identification within seconds.
• CATCH LOG [Premium Feature] – Log your catches like the professionals. FishVerify creates a catch log and captures the GPS coordinates of each catch so you can return to the same location over and over again. The app will also capture and record current weather and water conditions including wind, air temperature, moon phase, barometric pressure, cloud coverage, water temperature, wave height, sunrise & sunset. Learn what to look for and repeat successful trends to catch more fish the next time you’re on the water.
• DIGITAL WALLET [Premium Feature] – FishVerify makes it easy to securely store your fishing licenses, permits, boat insurance and more. Receive expiration notifications, and have all important information at your fingertips.
• ASK AN EXPERT [Premium Feature] – Submit your catch to have one of our experts identify it
——————————— IN-APP PURCHASES ———————————
There are three types of subscriptions available:
1. Monthly Premium subscription (Price $ 7.99) includes a 3-day free trial – Auto-renewing 2. Yearly Premium subscription (Price $ 47.99) includes a 3-day free trial – Auto-renewing 3. Scan Pack one-time purchase (Price $ 6.99) Get 5 Scans. Non-Renewing **
* Continue subscribing to FishVerify to access all premium features. Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account and will automatically renew each month/year within 24 hours of your subscription ending. You may cancel anytime by turning off auto renewal in your iTunes Account settings.
** Scan pack one-time purchase does not include access to all premium features.
—————————– ABOUT US —————————–
Created by experienced Florida fisherman, FishVerify began after a 2014 fishing trip turned up an unidentifiable fish species.
Like FishVerify on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fishverify Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fishverify”
“An identification guide for the shore-fish fauna of the Tropical Eastern Pacific. This App is the first of a set of 2 portable identification guides for Apple touch-screen devices that will cover the shore-fish faunas of the tropical American marine regions on both sides of the central American Isthmus: the Tropical Eastern Pacific, the Greater Caribbean (Caribbean and adjacent areas).
This App was adapted from the 2008 website Shorefishes of the tropical eastern Pacific: online information system (www.stri.org/sftep), which in turn was derived from a 2002 CD system, that was developed from English (1994) and Spanish (1998) book editions.
This stand-alone App works independently of the internet.
• Complete English and Spanish interfaces. Connect to the Spanish interface by setting Spanish in the language preference of your device.
• Covers 1,358 species; includes over 5,000 images to help identify them. Users can select to work with either the entire fauna, or with the Diver Group, a subset of 686 species that could be found within SCUBA diving depths on or adjacent to reefs in different parts of the region.
• A page for each species includes a detailed description (with information on its form, color, size, habitat and depth range), 1 or more species images (primarily photographs), key-features that distinguish it from similar species, a link to a page displaying similar species, and a map of its regional range.
• Browse among alphabetic lists of species and species-within-families, changing name-sorting between scientific and common (first or last) names.
• A search engine uses any combination of generic common names, location, habitat, and fish features (shape, color pattern and colors) to identify fishes.
• A glossary of scientific terms is linked to each species page.
• Keys that use a series of “either/or” choices of features that allow identification of members of two species-rich families.
• The notebook module allows (1) review of recently visited species pages and (2) construction of lists that record observations about fishes. New lists can be assembled from scratch or by making blank copies of existing lists. Lists are organized in folders, and are downloadable by email.
• New for this version: option to work with either the entire fauna or a diver subgroup; 63 more species and almost 40% more images; habitat added to the fish ID search engine.”