Here are the 10 Best Bill-Splitting Apps For Android & iOS (Free Apps).
10 Best Bill-Splitting Apps For Android & iOS (Free Apps)
From monthly bills to special celebrations, Venmo makes settling up feel like catching up. But it’s so much more than peer-to-peer payments. It’s a mobile hub for handling your money, so you can focus on the moments. It’s a way to spend how you want, where you want— all from one easy-to-use app.
Send and receive money
Pay and get paid for anything from your share of rent to a birthday gift. Add a note to each payment to connect with friends and remember the moments, not the money.
Get rewarded with the Venmo Visa® Credit Card
Automatically earn up to 3% cash back on your eligible top spend category¹ —we’ll do the math. Split card purchases with Venmo friends, just like regular payments. And shop everywhere Visa® credit cards are accepted—online, in-store, worldwide.
Shop with the Venmo Debit Card
Spend your money in Venmo everywhere Mastercard® is accepted in the U.S. — and earn cashback from some of your favorite spots. Terms apply: https://venmo.com/about/debitcard/rewards/²
Do business on Venmo
Create a business profile for your side gig, small business, or anything in between—all under your same Venmo account. Stand out on the feed, connect with customers, and get paid with ease. Plus, use your unique business QR code for safe in-person payments.
Pay in stores
Use your Venmo QR code to pay touch-free at stores like CVS. No shared pens or keypads; no digging for your wallet — just scan your phone to pay.
Pay in apps & online
Check out with Venmo on some of your favorite apps, like Uber Eats, StockX, Grubhub, and Zola. Even use your money in Venmo to cover the cost.³
Manage your money
Get your Venmo money in the bank within minutes using Instant Transfer⁴. Want your paycheck up to two days earlier⁵ than your normal payday? Try Direct Deposit. Have a physical check? Scan it right into your Venmo account with Cash a Check ⁶.
We’ve got your back
Security is very important to us, and we prioritize making you feel safe and secure by taking security measures to help protect your account. Plus, we’ve got a stellar customer support team, ready to solve any issues.
¹Use of cash back is subject to the terms of the Venmo account. Review the Venmo Credit Card Rewards Program Terms for more information: https://www.synchronycredit.com/gecrbterms/html/RewardsTerms.htm
The Venmo Credit Card is issued by Synchrony Bank pursuant to a license from Visa USA Inc. Visa is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association and used under license.
²Card is issued by The Bancorp Bank pursuant to license by Mastercard International Incorporated. The Bancorp Bank; Member FDIC. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
³Ability to use money sent to you for Venmo payments to other users or authorized merchants subject to Venmo verifying your required identifying information.
⁴Transfer speed depends on your bank and could take up to 30 minutes. Transfers are reviewed which may result in delays or funds being frozen or removed from your Venmo account.
⁵Early access compared to standard banking practice of posting funds at settlement and subject to your employer providing pay information to the bank prior to payday. It may take up to two pay cycles for Direct Deposit to take effect. Transactions are reviewed, which may result in delays or funds being frozen or removed from your account.
2. Splittr – Expense Splitting
Simply add expenses as you go and Splittr will tell you who owes who how much.
Invite your friends and everybody can enter expenses with their own devices.
– Works offline
– Syncs with friends
– No registration needed
– All currencies supported
– Categorize your expenses (custom categories available)
– PDF and CSV export
– Statistics about your group
– Super fast and easy user interface
– Intelligent equalization payment algorithm that minimizes the number of transactions
– You can split expenses unevenly if purchasers paid different amounts or if certain participants benefited more or less from the expense
– Automatic backups
Use case: Imagine you are on a trip with two friends: Emma and Daniel. You pay $100 for gas for the trip. Anyone with a calculator can divide that price three ways, but even then, you’d normally have to keep a record of the expense in order to divvy it up later. With Splittr, this expense is entered in a couple of seconds and divided equally with little time or effort.
Imagine that later, you, Emma and Daniel go to a restaurant. You’re not hungry, so you only order juice. Daniel orders a steak and a cheesecake. Emma gets a spinach salad. The bill is $80. Daniel forgot his wallet in the hotel room and doesn’t pay, but you chip in $60 and Emma pays $20. You need a math degree to calculate who owes what, right? Not with Splittr! Simply enter who paid how much and Splittr will do the rest.
It’s that simple!”
Splitwise is great for:
– Roommates splitting rent and apartment bills
– Group trips around the world
– Splitting a vacation house for skiing or at the beach
– Weddings and bachelor/bachelorette parties
– Couples sharing relationship costs
– Friends and co-workers who go out to lunch or dinner together frequently
– Loans and IOUs between friends
– And so much more
Splitwise is simple to use:
– Create groups or private friendships for any splitting situation
– Add expenses, IOUs, or informal debts in any currency, with support for offline entry
– Expenses are backed up online so any everyone can log in, view their balances, and add expenses
– Keep track of who should pay next, or settle up by recording cash payments or using our integrations
“Makes it easy to split everything from your dinner bill to rent.” – NY Times
“Fundamental for tracking finances. As good as WhatsApp for containing awkwardness.” – The Financial Times
“I never fight with roommates over bills because of this genius expense-splitting app”- Business Insider
“The Single Best App You Can Download for Group Trips of Any Kind” – Thrillist
Here are some of our industry-leading features:
– Multi-platform support for Android, iOS, and web
– Simplify debts into the easiest repayment plan
– Expense categorization
– Calculate group totals
– Export to CSV
– Comment directly on expenses
– Split expenses equally or unequally by percentages, shares, or exact amounts
– Add informal debts and IOUs
– Create bills that recur monthly, weekly, yearly, fortnightly
– Add multiple payers on a single expense
– See total balances with a person across multiple groups and private expenses
– Custom user avatars
– Cover photos for groups
– Activity feed and push notifications help you stay on top of changes
– View your edit history for changes to an expense
– Any deleted group or bill can be restored easily
– World-class customer support
– Pay back using our integrated payments: Venmo and PayPal (US only), Paytm (India only)
– 100+ currencies and growing
– 7+ supported languages
Get Splitwise Pro for even more amazing features!
– Convert expenses to different currencies using our Open Exchange Rates integration
– Access to “spending by category” budgeting tools and other charts
– OCR integration for scanning and itemizing receipts
– Store high-resolution receipts in the cloud (10GB cloud storage)
– Backups to JSON, downloadable from our website
– Search full expense history
– Save default splits”
4. Splid – Split Group Bills
No more fiddling about with change, lost receipts, or disagreements about the balance. Simply enter all your shared expenses and Splid shows you who owes how much to whom.
And the best thing: Splid works on and offline. Create an offline group and get splitting costs under control within seconds. Or, activate the sync to enter expenses together. It’s simple, and there’s no sign-up required.
Even complicated bills can be split quickly and easily with Splid:
– Emma paid the supermarket bill but Leo contributed $10? No problem.
– Your travel expenses are in dollars but you want to settle up in euros? Done.
– Hannah had two more drinks than everyone else? Easy-peasy.
All features at a glance:
✔︎ Clean interface that’s super easy to use.
✔︎ Share groups online to enter bills together (no sign-up needed).
✔︎ Also works perfectly offline.
✔︎ Download summaries as PDF or Excel* files that are easy to understand.
✔︎ Choose from more than 150 currencies and let Splid automatically convert the amount (perfect if you are on vacation or travelling).
✔︎ Handles even complicated transactions (for example, adding multiple payees or splitting bills unequally).
✔︎ Minimal payments: You’ll handle as few payments as possible because Splid always finds the easiest way to split your bills.
✔︎ Universally usable: Split costs on vacations, with roommates, in relationships, or with friends & family.
✔︎ Total cost: Find out how much everyone in your group has spent in total.
*Excel export available via in-app purchase.”
5. Tab – The Simple Bill Splitter
Here’s how it works:
• Take a picture of your receipt to read in all the items and prices from the check
• Select which items each person ordered. Everyone with Tab on their phone can join onto the bill and select their own items – Tab keeps everything synced in real time.
• Multiple people can select the same item if they shared it
• Tax and tip are automatically divided proportionally
• If it’s someone’s birthday, you can split their total evenly among everyone else
• Settle up within your group using integrated Venmo or by recording a cash payment
Never struggle to split the check again!
A note to our international friends: Tab is currently only available in the US Play Store because the many different receipt formats, unique taxes and languages in other countries would cause our image-to-text conversion and parsing to give very mixed results. We hope to bring Tab to other countries as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience!”
6. Settle Up – Group Expenses
The app will help you keep track of your expenses and IOUs: it’s perfect for travellers, flatmates, couples, event organizers and other groups of friends. Simply add expenses and let us do the job!
Settle Up is super easy to use for simple splits, but we’ve got you covered if you want to add complicated expenses:
– Multiple people paid one expense? No problem!
– Group members have different weights? Set their defaults.
– How about incomes? Yup, just add them.
– Adding items from a long bill? Piece of cake!
… and many other useful features.
📱 works on Android, iOS, Windows, and web
📶 works offline
👨👩👧👦 covers many real life cases (splitting by weights, multiple people paying, incomes, expenses from a bill etc.)
👥 doesn’t need every group member to download the app
💱 offers all currencies and real-time exchange rates
🔗 gives you easy group sharing via a link or to nearby devices (using ultrasound! 😮)
🔔 sends notifications about changes and history
♻️ minimizes the number of transfers between members
🌐 is translated to many languages
💐 is focused on a great design and user experience
But that’s not all! Settle Up has many special features based on our users’ real life needs.
DOWNLOAD NOW so you can:
📊 view member statistics & filter transactions
➡️ export data by email in CSV format
🔒 give people read-only access
🔄 have your data backed up and synchronized
🔳 use the widget & shortcuts for quick expenses
… and you can Go Premium to enjoy even more features!
🚫 Enjoy ad-free experience
📷 Add photos of receipts (or your friends 😅)
🏷️ Add pre-selected or custom categories of expenses
🔁 Create recurring transactions – this is useful for rent and other repeating payments
🌈 Choose from a wide selection of group colours”
7. Expensify – Receipts & Expenses
Unlimited receipt scanning: Snap a photo of any receipt and Expensify’s SmartScan technology captures the details. Better yet, get the Expensify Card and say goodbye to receipts forever.
Corporate card purchases: Just swipe the Expensify Card and your expenses are done. Add the card to your Apple Wallet for contactless payments.
Expense management: Expensify codes and submits business expenses for easy approval, next-day reimbursement, and automatic sync with accounting software.
Travel booking: Concierge books your flights, hotels, and cars for you in one simple chat. It’s a 24/7 corporate travel assistant that learns your preferences on the go.
Additional features include:
Multi-level approval workflows
Automatic credit card import
Corporate card reconciliation
Per diem support
Receipt integrations (Uber, Lyft, Hotel Tonight, Grab)
Accounting integrations (QuickBooks, Xero, NetSuite, Sage Intacct, and more!)
Configurable policy rules
Custom report exports
Advanced tax tracking
Automatic currency convertor
– Preferred expense solution – AICPA and CPA.com
– Top 50 Finance Products – G2
– Editors’ Choice – PCMag
– Winner, Readers’ Choice Awards – CPA Practice Advisor
– Innovation Partner of the Year – NetSuite
– App Partner of the Year – Xero
– Best 100 Cloud Companies Worldwide – Forbes
– Top-Rated Expense Management Software – TrustRadius
In the press:
“The Best Business Travel App” – Business Insider
“Expensify is like a virtual accountant” – Wall Street Journal
“A mobile app that helps you run your business” – Forbes
“You’d be surprised that Expensify is actually enjoyable to use” – PC Mag”
8. Plates by Splitwise
Add items and drag them right on to people’s plates, and watch the totals update in real time. Figuring out who owes what has never been so simple and so fun.
– Add up to 10 people
– Drag items to individual plates, or split shared items like appetizers
– Calculate tax and tip
– Want to save time? Enter the most important items, then hit “Split the rest” to share the rest evenly.”
9. Split Expenses
You should enjoy your holidays/trips, nothing else. No need to stress about this. We take care of it.
Enter your expense during an event, and the IOU app will handle the balance at the end. You’ll then know precisely who owes who! Split an expense the way you want that why I owe you app are for.
Take a trip, go away for the weekend, split your roommates’ dinner, splitting a vacation etc… with friends and you can relax knowing that there’ll be no more hassle with accounts at the end.
• Create events.
• Group expenses.
• Create participants.
• Add expenses, select who paid what and who participated in each expense.
• Split expenses like you want, no limit here.
• View a summary of all expenses of the event.
• Make accounts with your friends
• Track balances
• Organize your expenses – categorize them.
• Settle up or pay back your friends
• Manage currencies for events overseas, more than 40 currencies available.
• Share accounts by e-mail/whatapps or facebook messenger.
it’s the easiest way to split a bill, do bill splitting without any issue. Enjoy your holiday, we take care of the rest – IOU.”
10. Sesterce – Share Expenses
Add all the expenses and Sesterce settles it up!
Designed with roommates in mind, great for couples, and vital for a group of friends on holiday!
★ SIMPLE: shared expenses has never been so simple
★ COLLABORATIVE: each member can join the group, add an expense and keep track of all the bills on his phone or computer
★ ANONYMOUS: no email required
★ SECURED: all shared groups can be protected with a password
★ OFFLINE: in vacation, you don’t need an Internet connection to split a check
Key use cases:
• Keeping track of your household budget
• Split bills / checks with friends
• Organize expenses during a trip (holiday, week-end…) and follow your common budget
• Track & split expenses with roommates (rent, utilities, bills)
• Make your event accounting easier, to repay later (birthday, bachelor party, trip)
• Check who should pay what to whom
But that’s not all! Sesterce has many more free features!
SPECIFY WHO PARTICIPATED
Not everyone shared all the expenses, be free to specify exactly how they are involved
CREATE YOUR OWN CATEGORIES
Add the categories that fit your needs to keep track of your expenses
Check the budget by category and by group member
CONVERT FOREIGN CURRENCY
In vacation in a foreign country, add a bill and Sesterce will convert it to your currency
EXPORT ALL DATA
With Sesterce you can share a spreadsheet file (.csv) of all the groups expenses”